New York Bar (admitted 2006)
Bucharest Bar (admitted 1999)
A founding partner of Biriş Goran, Gelu is one of the top antitrust practitioners in Romania, acting primarily in the areas of competition and antitrust law as well as mergers and acquisitions for more than 21 years.
He is regularly called upon by leading multinationals in Romania to handle major merger control applications, to assist during cartel or dominance investigations and to manage their antitrust compliance programs in areas such as banking, retail, construction pharmaceutical & energy. In addition to competition law, Gelu focuses on mergers & acquisitions.
His experience covers a large range of industries and business sectors, including fast moving consumer goods, construction materials, banking, perfumery, tobacco, pharmaceuticals and breweries. He is recommended by the main international legal publications as a top competition practitioner.
Prior to this, Gelu worked in the Bucharest offices of US law firm Altheimer & Gray and Salans from 1999 to 2006. Before that, he worked at the Romanian Competition Council, where he investigated mergers and acquisitions, evaluated potentially illegal agreements and abusive business practices. A Fulbright Scholar, he is admitted to both the New York and Bucharest Bar Associations and is the president of Romanian Association of Fulbright Alumni.
Gelu has published extensively in prestigious publications, including The Global Competition Review and The International Business Lawyer.
Outside the office, Gelu enjoys indie movies, competing in triathlon events and practising water sports.
• Ongoing advice for UniCredit Bank and UniCredit Leasing Corporation in a Competition Council investigation focusing on an information exchange on the financial leasing market;
• Advised Weatherford in the first leniency case completed by the Competition Council for bid-rigging in the energy sector. This follows our involvement as Romanian counsel for Vita Foam’s successful European Commission leniency filing (the Polyurethane foam cartel case, 2014);
• Advised Holcim in its challenge of a three-to-two merger clearance decision issued by the national competition authority, a landmark merger control case to be decided by the Romanian Supreme Court;
• Successfully represented Procter & Gamble in the context of a Competition Council investigation on the market of collective systems of management of waste electrical and electronic equipment.
• The 2018 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu "has a wealth of knowledge and experience in competition and antitrust law; he has a very good understanding of our business and the market we are active on. He is very reliable and available, and he gives clear and pragmatic advice."
• The 2017 edition of Chambers Europe notes that Gelu is admired for his "technical knowledge, solution-driven approach, very good understanding of the client's business and flexibility."
• The 2016 edition of Chambers Europe describes Gelu as "an extremely talented lawyer, capable of understanding business implications and providing solutions within the legal framework. He is appreciated for his advice to a variety of clients across competition issues, particularly cartel investigations and compliance issues."
• Associate, Salans, Bucharest (2003 - 2006)
• Associate, Altheimer & Gray, Bucharest (1999 – 2003)
• Legal Officer, Romanian Competition Council (1997 – 1999)
• Northwestern University School of Law, Fulbright Scholar (LL.M. with honors, 2003)
• University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 1997)
• Co-author (with Dan Jalbă and Răzvan Bardicea) of the analysis article “Romania's Leniency Programme: Critical Overview (2013), published online by Practical Law Company at: Romania's Leniency Programme
• Co-author (with Răzvan Bardicea) of the Romanian chapter of “Merger Control - Jurisdictional Comparisons” (2011) (part of The European Lawyer Reference series);
• Co-author (with Dan Jalbă) of “Cartel Enforcement – Romania”, published in Cartel Enforcement Worldwide, by CMP Publishing Ltd (2011).