Bucharest Bar (admitted 2001)
Gabriel Biris, one of the firm's founding partners, was asked by the current Romanian government to serve as secretary of state (akin to a deputy minister position) with the Romanian Ministry of Finance, responsible for legislative reform in the field of taxation, effective 14 December 2015.
Gabriel has over 20 years of experience in Romanian tax matters, having advised clients on complex tax litigation, compliance and structuring issues. He is well-known in the Romanian media for his tireless advocacy for meaningful tax reform to assist the business environment in Romania, and his recent appointment is a vindication of his efforts. According to existing legislation in force, Gabriel suspended his membership in the Bucharest Bar for the duration of his mandate, but he is expected to return to the firm immediately thereafter.
Gabriel is the author of two books about tax: “Despre Fiscalitate şi Competitivitate” (About Tax and Competitiveness) and “Despre Fiscalitate şi Bun Simţ” (About Tax and Good Sense), both published in 2012. Gabriel is the co-author of “Controverse în fiscalitate” (Tax Controversies) published in 2011.
He has been “Highly recommended” for the last 9 years in a row Chambers Europe.
The 2016 edition of Chambers Europe has ranked Gabriel, for the ninth year consecutively, “Highly Recommended” as a leading lawyer for Tax in Romania.
• Counsel, Salans Bucharest (2005-2006)
• Partner, Head of Taxation Services, Haarman Hemmelrath Romania (2002-2005)
• Senior Manager, Head of Taxation Services, Haarmann Hemmelrath Romania (1998-2002)
• Tax Consultant, Coopers & Lybrand Romania (1995-1998)
• Romanian-American University, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2000)
• Technical University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications (Engineering Degree,1995)
Numerous articles published in the business media on tax matters