Bucharest Bar (admitted 2001)
Gabriel Biriș, one of the firm's founding partners, has been asked and accepted to serve as Secretary of State at the Ministry of Finance, responsible for legislative reform in the field of taxation. The Ministry of Finance, led by Minister Anca Dragu, chose Gabriel on the basis of his many years of experience on tax matters and tireless efforts in the public arena fighting for tax reform that would lead to a positive impact in the country’s development. According to existing legislation in force, Gabriel suspended his membership in the Bucharest Bar and he is no longer part of the Biris Goran team.
Gabriel is a founding partner of Biriş Goran, and is widely regarded as one of the leading tax experts in the country, with over 19 years experience in the sector. He focuses on all aspects of taxation such as advising on optimum tax structures (both onshore and offshore), compliance, tax controls and tax litigations. He is also an experienced tax litigator and insolvency practitioner, member of the Disciplinary Commission of the National Union of Insolvency Practitioners in Romania (UNPIR).
Gabriel is regularly invited in consultations with the Romanian Ministry of Finance with respect to drafting of amendments to the Fiscal Code and its implementation legislation. He regularly speaks at the most important conferences and publishes articles on tax issues in local and international publications.
Clients appreciate his business-oriented and innovative advice (that is not lost in disclaimers) which allows them to take clear decisions that respect institutional standards. The last two editions of Chambers Europe affirm his formidable reputation, stating that “Practice head Gabriel Biriş receives praise from clients for his 'excellent tax advice' and is recognised by peers as one of the expert practitioners in this area". He has been “Highly recommended” in the last 6 years by Chambers Europe.
Gabriel is the author of two books about tax: “Despre Fiscalitate şi Competitivitate” (About Tax and Competitiveness) and “Despre Fiscalitate şi Bun Simţ” (About Tax and Good Sense), both published in 2012. Gabriel is the co-author of “Controverse în fiscalitate” (Tax Controversies) published in 2011.
• Lead tax counsel to Romcarbon (a company transacted on the Bucharest Stock Exchange) on multi-jurisdictional corporate governance project pertaining to the Green Group and assistance with investment by European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the Global Finance investment fund;
• Lead tax counsel to the Monsson Group with respect to sale of wind farm project to leading German power generation company, STEAG, with overall acquisition price and investment value exceeding EUR 80 million;
• Lead counsel to Wirom, one of the leading Romanian players in the Romanian natural gas distribution field, in all aspects of fiscal legislation, from profit tax to VAT and excise duties.
• Lead counsel to Wintershall Holding GmbH, a leading global gas company (through its Romanian branch in Mediaş), in a joint venture agreement with the major natural gas extraction company, Romgaz;
• Assisted Romenergo, a leading Romanian energy holding company, in the corporate restructuring through complex spin-off procedure of assets with value of approximately EUR 110 million.
The 2016 edition of Chambers Europe has ranked Gabriel, for the ninth year consecutively, “Highly Recommended” as a leading lawyer for Tax in Romania.
• Counsel, Salans Bucharest (2005-2006)
• Partner, Head of Taxation Services, Haarman Hemmelrath Romania (2002-2005)
• Senior Manager, Head of Taxation Services, Haarmann Hemmelrath Romania (1998-2002)
• Tax Consultant, Coopers & Lybrand Romania (1995-1998)
• Romanian-American University, Faculty of Law (Law Degree, 2000)
• Technical University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics and Telecommunications (Engineering Degree,1995)
Numerous articles published in the business media on tax matters